The GAIA SH-01 is Rolands answer to serious analogue sound with modern day technology. GAIA (name from the primordial Earth-goddess in ancient Greek religion) houses a triple-stacked virtual analogue engine, comprising of three complete synths for incredibly thick, powerful and vivid sound. Unleash the three oscillators that drive a trio of multimode, resonant filters, multi-shape LFOs, and amplifiers, plus nine envelope generators, and a complete multi-effects system. Itís like having three synthesizers in one!
The front panel of the Roland GAIA puts every control directly under your fingertips. There are no hidden menus and a no nonsense approach. Just play and move the knobs and sliders, or wave your hands over the invisible D Beam for dramatic effects. The logically designed front panel shows the signal path from left to right and allows hands-on control during performance. Full ADSR control, filter controls, waveforms, sound modifiers and controls can be accessed instantly.
With the Roland GAIA effects processor you can layer up to five simultaneous effects for dozens of variations. The onboard effects include reverb, distortion, fuzz, bit crash, flanger, phaser, pitch shifter, low boost, and delay with panning and tempo sync. Dedicated control knobs are provided for tweaking the effects in real time.
Arpeggiator and Phrase Recorder
The GAIA has some powerful additional features on top of the rich sound source. The Phrase recorder allows the user to record from 1 to 8 bars of your performance and tweaking direct to the internal memory for instant playback. Additionally the arpeggiator has 64 patterns for creativity and fun with sounds and composition.
USB and Connectivity
There are 2 USB ports on the back panel of the Roland GAIAs panel. One connector offers USB to device connection. Connecting a USB pen drive allows a full set of 64 user sounds to be stored to the USB device.
The second USB connector offers a few capabilities. This, to host connector will transform the GAIA into a Audio interface when connected to a computer. Audio can be streamed directly into your software for the best digital recording sound available from the GAIA with no need to worry about connecting audio cables. Secondly this also acts as a USB MIDI interface and when combined with the new GAIA editor/ Librarian then the computers interaction becomes a massively enhanced and powerful part of the GAIAs system.
Roland GAIA SH01 Technical Specification
- Keyboard: 37 keys (velocity sensitive)
- Maximum Polyphony: 64 voices Sound Generaor Section
- Virtual analog synthesizer sound generator: (Number of parts: 1) (Oscillator + Filter + Amp + Envelopes + LFO) x 3
- PCM sound generator: (Number of parts: 15)
- Patch Memory: Preset: 64 User: 64 OSC Section
- Oscillator waveform :SAW, SQUARE, PULSE/PWM, TRIANGLE, SINE, NOISE, SUPER SAW
- Knobs/Sliders: PITCH, DETUNE, Pulse Width, Pulse Width Modulation
- Envelope: Attack, Decay, Envelope Depth
- Modulation: Oscillator Sync, Ring Modulation (Tone 2s OSC 2 is applied as modulation to Tone 1s OSC 1.) FILTER Section
- Filter Type: LPF, HPF, BPF, PKG (-12 dB/-24 dB)
- Knobs: CUTOFF, RESONANCE, KEY FOLLOW
- Envelope: Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release, Envelope Depth AMP Section
- Knobs: Level
- Envelope: Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release LFO Section
- LFO Shape : Triangle, Sine, Saw, Square, Sample
- Knobs/Sliders: Rate, Fade Time, Pitch Depth, Filter Depth, Amp Depth
- Tempo Sync: ON/OFF Effects
- DIST: Distortion, Fuzz, Bit Crash
- FLANGER: Flanger, Phaser, Pitch Shifter
- DELAY: Delay, Panning Delay (with tempo sync function)
- REVERB: Reverb
- LOW BOOST: Low Boost
- Knobs: Control 1, Level
- Controllers: Pitch Bend/Modulation lever, D BEAM Controller
- Arpeggiator: Preset pattern: 64
- Phrase Recorder: User: 8 Number of Track: 1
- Jacks/Connectors: OUTPUT jacks (L/MONO, R) (1/4 inch phone type)
- Headphone jack (Stereo 1/4 inch phone type) PEDAL jack (TRS phone type) MIDI Connectors (IN, OUT), USB COMPUTER (supports USB Hi-Speed Audio/MIDI), USB MEMORY (supports USB 2.0 Hi-Speed flash memory), EXT IN jack (Stereo miniature phone type), DC IN jack Power Supply: DC 9 V (AC Adaptor or rechargeable nickel-metal hydride AA batteries x 8) * Batteries sold separately. * Zinc-carbon batteries or alkaline batteries cannot be used.
- Current Draw: 600 mA
- Battery life for continuous use Approximately 5 hours * Using rechargeable nickel metal hydride batteries * Approximately 4 hours if USB memory is connected * Differs depending on the conditions of use Size and Weight:
- Width: 689 mm 27-3/16 inches x Depth 317 mm 12-1/2 inches x Height 100 mm 3-15/16 inches
- Weight: 4.2 kg, 9 lbs. 5 oz.